Wiring in a new plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, First post, so go easy on me :D

Moving into a new place on Friday, Consumer Unit is located in a cupboard under the stairs.

I want to put a new double socket in the cupboard so I can tuck my modem and NAS away in there. with a pass through powerline adaptor so I don't need network cable running around the house.

My question is can I wire it into the existing 32A socket ring CB in the consumer unit? And will I need it professionally tested, or need to inform anyone I've done it?

I'm an Avionic Engineer, so I'm confident on my ability to do it myself, even if my skills are Aircraft based rather than household electrics.

Any info/tips greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
My question is can I wire it into the existing 32A socket ring CB in the consumer unit?
Yes, it's fine for a spur to start from the origin of the circuit.

And will I need it professionally tested,
There is no explicit requirement in law for wiring to be tested but there is a requirement that "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."

Personally I'd suggest getting something like http://martindale-electric.co.uk/ma...tra-earth-loop-impedance-indicator-p-285.html it's not as good as doing the full set of tests with proffesional test equipment but it will detect the worst screwups.

or need to inform anyone I've done it?
Spurring off an existing circuit is not notifiable.

My question is can I wire it into the existing 32A socket ring CB in the consumer unit? And will I need it professionally tested, or need to inform anyone I've done it?
Part P says reasonable provisions, how would you prove that?
Plus requirement for RCD protection, does this protection exist
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Are we not talking about criminal law - in which case would the burden not be on the prosecution to prove that 'reasonable provisions 'had not been made? (aka 'innocent until proved guilty', rather than 'having to prove you are innocent')

Kind Regards, John

I want to put a new double socket in the cupboard so I can tuck my modem and NAS away in there. with a pass through powerline adaptor so I don't need network cable running around the house.

Yes you can but powerline adapters are bad technology that cause interference to other users of the radio spectrum. Don't use them.
Network cabling is the best and correct way to do it.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#PLT
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/powerline.html

Interference aside, home internet connections often vastly surpass the real-world performance of powerline adapters; mine was twice as fast, so I ran a wire downstairs.

Use a cable wherever possible, everything else is just a weak compromise.

Hi all, First post, so go easy on me :D
I'm an Avionic Engineer, so I'm confident on my ability to do it myself, even if my skills are Aircraft based rather than household electrics.

As long as you don't wire it like Swiss Air 111, it should be fine.

Yes you can but powerline adapters are bad technology that cause interference to other users of the radio spectrum. Don't use them.

Herds of stampeding wildebeests are nothing compared to stampeding radio amateurs. I believe being grumpy is a requisite for getting a license.

Herds of stampeding wildebeests are nothing compared to stampeding radio amateurs. I believe being grumpy is a requisite for getting a license.
Hmmm! - apart from anything else, radio amateurs represent but a tiny, and insignificant, proportion of the users of the radio spectrum. Furthermore, the speeds of network transmission we see these days are such that most of the interference will be well away from most of the commonly-used amateur radio bands.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the replies

Plus requirement for RCD protection, does this protection exist
I believe so, But I'll double check when I move in.
Is this your own house or a rental property?
My own house
Interference aside, home internet connections often vastly surpass the real-world performance of powerline adapters; mine was twice as fast, so I ran a wire downstairs.

Use a cable wherever possible, everything else is just a weak compromise.

Bearing that in mind I'll rethink. :)

Why bring radio amateurs into it? PLT manufacturers know their products cause interference and know radio amateurs understand the issues and would complain so they actually notch out amateur frequencies.

You should install a double RCD socket, if none exists in the existing consumer unit.

You should install a double RCD socket, if none exists in the existing consumer unit.

I don't think having two RCDs would help. I suppose if one develops a fault, you could fall back onto the other but is that level of redundancy really necessary?

Additionally, I don't see why the user would want to install a socket in his consumer unit. If not for the reason that it would take up far too many slots, then while I understand that one can get a DIN mounted socket, I think you'd struggle to attach it to the bus bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back