Wiring light pendant but changing from 2 switch to 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here, tried searching but no luck so hoping someone can help!

I'm changing a light fitting to pendant style and removed a pull cord light switch. I've wired up the new pendant, as per the instructions, but the light isn't working. Is there something I need to do with the 2 gang switch? I have a new 1 gang switch I want to fit.

At the moment, out the ceiling I have 2 sets of black and red wires and 1 set both red wires. I believe the black and red sets are the loop? Next light in the loop no longer works now also!

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean two gang switch (2 switches in one plate) or a two way switched lighting circuit (2 separate switches- which could be pull cord operated? Or an existing two way pull cord switch used as a one way switch that you wish to replace with a one way switch?
More info, or it may be multimeter time!

Apologies, should have explained my situation better.

There is a pull cord switch connected to a 2 gang light switch. I want to remove the pull cord and just use a 1 gang light switch.

At present, I have the new pendant wired up and the next light in the loop (toilet) now works. However, the new pendant in the bedroom still doesn't work. I have not changed the light switch from 2 gang to 1 gang yet, so presume I need to do this?

As you can tell, I'm no electrician. I do have a qualified electrician coming later in the week but I think I'm nearly there sorting it myself!

Sorry but I don't understand your answer. Are you confusing gangs and ways? You seem to be saying that a pull cord switch AND a wall plate with two switches in it operated one lamp as a two way circuit. Is that correct?
(Your electrician should sort it in minutes.)
Have a look in the Wiki under two way lighting; there are various possibilities and you will need to identify your switch positions for the necessary conversions.

Sponsored Links
MKK4870.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
1-gang 1-way switch

MKK4870.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
1-gang 2-way switch

MKK4872.JPG

blank43x10t.gif
2-gang 2-way switch

My limited knowledge proofing itself there again!

1 gang 2 way switch I believe! The light switch itself has L1 and L2 connections, 1 being from the pull cord I assume.

I'll await the electrician I think! Replaced various lights and plug sockets before, but this ones best left to an expert.

Sensible decision---don't worry, it is not a major problem.
Defer to BaS wisdom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back