wiring two gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a broken two gang, one way, dimmer switch with another 2 gang dimmer, . Stupidly I didn't not make a note of where the wires were attached to and am now having problems getting the lights to work properly. One switch does two rows of lights and the other one row of lights. There is one cable in the wall with a light brown, dark brown, blue and earth wire. on the old switch there was a link wire connecting two terminals(can't remember which) I have wired the switch in various ways the best I can do to get all lights working is:-
Switch 1. C light brown, L1 blue, L2 unused Link wire to from L1 to L1 of switch 2
Switch 2. C dark Brown, L1 link from L1 switch 1, L2 unused.
This way switch 1 works , switch 2 only works if switch 1 is on.

If I put the link wire from C switch 1 to L1 switch 2
So
Switch 1. C light brown, L1 blue, L2 unused, Link wire from C to L1 of switch 2
Switch 2. C dark Brown, L1 link from C switch 1, L2 unused.
This way switch 2 works , switch 1 only works if switch 2 is on.
Diagram below may help

Sponsored Links
the link wire is usually between the C terminals.

Try this:

Switch 1. C light brown, L1 blue, L2 unused
Switch 2. C connected to other C, L1 dark Brown,

If it don't work, try swapping the browns

Your diagram can't be right.

If in the top configuration you say that switch 1 works and switch 2 only works if switch 1 is on. That would make perfect sense if they were normal switches, but you can't feed a dimmer with the output of another one - it won't work.

And if switch 1 was working OK, irrespective of the position of switch 2, moving the link wire from L1 on switch 2 from L1 to C would not change how switch 1 works.

Anyway - doing electrical work without a full and genuine understanding of how the things you are fiddling with actually work, following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-terminal without truly understanding why, trying different combinations hoping to hit on the right one by luck, are bad ideas, not to be recommended.

There really is only Plan A or Plan B:

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
the link wire is usually between the C terminals.

Try this:

Switch 1. C light brown, L1 blue, L2 unused
Switch 2. C connected to other C, L1 dark Brown,

If it don't work, try swapping the browns

Many (belated) thanks Andy, worked a treat.

Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back