worcester boiler earth bonding to exterior meter problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
10 years ago British Gas fittted us a new Worcester combi boiler and we have earth bonding underneath the actual boiler unit. We had a service and gas safety certification today and the gas fitter said that there is no earth bonding to the outside meter and that we need an electrician to sort it out despite giving us a pass for certification. Im very confused as we had tons of electrical work done last week, a new consumer unit with rcdsand electrical safety certification. Surely if the earthing to the boiler needs addressing then why are we receiving safety certificates followed by contradictory and frankly worrying paperwork. We have had nothing but problems trying to sell up due to the amount of paperwork needed and we are at our witts end. Can anyone offer any advice please! :(

Sponsored Links
On the report you (should have) got from the electrician, there is a section called Main Protective Conductors and depending on what kind of form he used, theres a box that says "To incoming gas/water" (these may be separate)

Is this box ticked? If so I would give him a call and ask if he verified this, if not, ask him to come back and verify, and if not right, put right. The electrician may have found a bond the gas man missed

Thank you iggifer. I found on page 2 conductor copper, csa 10mm, water and gas service ticked in the boxes. Will ring him as we paid enough. All the pipes under the actual boiler ave connected earth wires attached but the gas man swore that we need to earth the meter aswell. The stress of selling and moving is sending us over the edge especially with this contradictory paperwork from the gas man which he said would have to be handed over when selling!

the gas man isnt wrong, but he may have missed something.

Why are you getting electrical work done if you're selling?

Sponsored Links
So, just as an aside and being a bit nosey, are you having all this work done so you can sell the house?

Gas safety certification and electrical safety certification were demanded during conveyancing due to the fact that the proprty devs are buying our flat in part exchange for a new house. We get full market value for our flat with no estate agent percentage and they get to move tenents in as soon as we move out. It was a great deal as we also got about 8 grands worth of bespoke flooring.

Ah ok that sounds like it could be a deal, so long as you stand to gain overall. Seemed a little bit suss that you would be doing all this just to satisfy a normal purchaser :eek:

Haha, yes we have saved 2.5 percent in estate agent commission and the flat was sold within 2 days straight to buy to let investment buyers. Got all the bespoke flooring as we are paying the rest of the balance with cash and got 10 grand off the house as the mortgage fell through and we didn't get to pick the kitchen bur the previous buyers had lots of bespoke additions which we got free like all apliances in the kitchen including dishwasher and fitted wardrobes and upgraded bathrooms. Getting the flat all certified has been a mare though!

Blimey 2.5% estate agent fees? Not seen anything much over 1.25% round our way. I bet they drive very nice cars down there!

It's Royal Tunbridge Wells, we bought our flat in a slump for 32 grand and just sold it for £125,000 and it's a shoebox. Will love having a house at last.

Prices here are a joke. Anyway thanks fellas. I'm off to harass the electrician to sort it all out!

Just to say for clarity.

The main bonding doesn't have to go to the outside meter.
It should be connected to the pipe where it enters the property.

Also the bonding under the boiler is not required but plumbers like doing it.
It won't do any harm though.

The main bonding doesn't have to go to the outside meter.
It should be connected to the pipe where it enters the property.

Sorry, yes I should have said that - that was what I was implying by 'the gas man may have missed something', I was unintentionally obtuse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back