1st floor newel post trimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I've searched why it's there, and I've searched what happens if its not and come up with zero both times.

My 1st floor newel post extends below the ceiling down stairs. Can I cut it flush along the red line or will my house fall down? Cheers stair dudes.

Can I have an answer ASAP as the wife has a saw in her hand and is looking like she means business!

Sponsored Links
I don't do stairs, so someone else may tell me I'm wrong, but I say leave it.

You can see various elements are notched into the post. I wouldn't touch it. If you still want to go ahead, be certain that you don't cut closer than 200mm from a load bearing notch (/not an engineer).

If those elements contacting the notches bear weight onto it, then cutting it will reduce the amount of sheer force it can bear.

The main weight will be from the stair stringer, which does not appear to be bearing into the notch as there is a gap, and may be supported higher up with screws.

Thanks. That was my thinking. There is a gap where the old plasterboard use to be so the lower bit is not bearing any weight.

it does support the string
the mortice will be done with a mortiser that requires a stepped bottom to match the angle on the string
now to do it properly you step it just short and clean it up with a mortice hand chisel
but some will step a bit deeper to avoid the last stage
i would leave 75mm or at least 50mm minimum to hold the tenon shut
if you are tempted to go less i would go for 4 or 5 8 or 10mm dowels to give full integrity

Sponsored Links
All good stuff. So if I was to remove the white cover piece and stick some dowels where the blue dots are, all should be good? Could I just put some hefty screws through or would the loading be the wrong way for them?

Cheers.

whilst the string simply wont fall out if its loose it will tend to pivot on the bottom step untill all the slack is out but that may be a few mm but to do this it will hang on the top riser/tread untill it lets go
i would strongly recomend at least 30mm[preferably 50+] sticking proud to give the mortise a chance to maintain structural integrity
if you place dowels where shown [8mm]how much timber will be string side on the newel ??

oooh and it may have a split tennon so the upper half will be hooked tight but wont know that unless you can see ;)

Probably about 25mm to the right of the dowel. She wants it all gone, so if it's best to leave some I might leave it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back