Adding a floor to my loft, with a few asbestos questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house has Asbestos Soffits (Cement Product Chrysotile on the survey), Ive had them tested. They are not in the greatest state of repair the paint is flaking off them and there are a few holes and cracks in them. These holes have meant that some bees or wasps have made a number of nests in the loft although they look and sound to be vacated now. Id like to remove the soffits but have a feeling that will be costly. Does anyone know if i should be worried about asbestos dust up in the loft? With the wind blowing through them and such? Are there any steps I should take to protect the loft from the asbestos sofits? after reading the forums and the internet i defo have a bit of asbestos paranoia which is putting me off getting up in to the loft, as will be evident with my next question.

here are the soffits you can kind of see the condition they are in

sofit.jpg

2014-09-28163004.jpg

In this picture, its hard to make out, but under the newer insulation, there looks to be some other stuff, again I haven't poked around too much due to aforementioned paranoia Its not a wool like asbestos wool that ive seen pictures of, but it is a brownish material, ill try to get up again tomorrow and get some better pictures of it. would you be worried, I will say I had an asbestos survey done that says they found no asbestos in the loft, but i have no idea how deep they looked into it.

asbestos survey here if anyone would like to see it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B450ACEVOvtveVhYRTNEd3RHdzQ/view?usp=sharing

From the Images can you tell if the loft floor can support floorboards? Ill update with some measurements tomorrow, but they dont look like the strongest joists to me.

2014-09-28162858.jpg

2014-09-28162813.jpg

2014-09-28162752.jpg

2014-09-28162751.jpg

2014-09-28162728.jpg

My plan is to possibly pull out the newer insulation, assuming im not too worried about asbestos dust, lay some new joists across the top of the old ones at 90 degrees, put the insulation back and then board over the top of them, does that sound correct and if so, should it all be secured together, or could I just lay it on top?

anything to concern you from the images? I'm going to head into the loft tomorrow to take some measurements and some more photos

Sponsored Links
Many, many houses have asbestolux soffits like this......its actually an ideal product as its unaffected by water.
Dont worry about asbestos dust in the loft - there won't be any from these but the dust from the old cosywrap insulation will be irritating so wear a mask.
I cant see the brown substance you mention though - all just looks like old carpet underlay to me.
It will be ok to board over for storage, but not necessarily for a roof extension if that's what you are planning.
John :)

got up in the loft and took some measurements today.

they beams are 4" x 1.5" spaced by 17"

if that makes any difference to boarding up there?

Sponsored Links
i defo have a bit of asbestos paranoia

You should be careful with this. Experts have noticed greatly increased incidence of asbestos paranoia in all parts of the country.

It can strike at any time, causing people to spend ££££ on experts to clear bits of old corrugated sheeting, pipes and eaves etc.

The cure is to get a few strong bin bags and put the stuff in it, then put it in the boot and take it to the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back