Bamboo flooring installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to put down a bamboo floor, I don't know if it would be considered "Solid" or "Engineered". It is a three layer sandwich but all layers are bamboo. Its 18mm thick overall with each layer approx 6mm, middle layer a 90 degrees to top and bottom. Its called Forest by MOSO.

Its going down over existing pine floor boards which are very solid, level and flat. I intend to secret nail it and want to run with the floor boards. If possible I want to keep the final height to a minimum to avoid a large step.

I have used an off cut to mark out where the joins will be relative to the existing gaps and none line up, with good floor boards is it still necessary to put down ply?

Also I have the expansion rates per board for a given change in MC and RH and have calculated a total expansion of 8mm across the floor (3m) do I really need a 10mm gap all round or is that a generic number the manufactures use to cover all size floors? I am interested as I am not removing the skirting so want to keep the gap to a minimum.

Hope you can help

Cheers

Sponsored Links
bamboo is a lot more stable than other products.

However it tends to move around in the first few months of install and then it stays pretty stable. (rh depending)

As you have a engineered bamboo product it is even more stable.

Your issue is wanting to nail the same direction as floorboards. You need a thick plywood (thickness depends on subfloor etc) so you will raise floor height.

Also you have worked out movement of the product? for nailing the movement will be localized in a certain direction unless fitting 'slip tongue' So the overall expansion you have to adhere to.

However, me personally i would prep (if the floorboards are flat) with 6mm plywood and then fully bond the bamboo. This way you can reduce floor height and you have a better control over the movement. Yes you can work at minimum expansion rates providing the MC / RH is withing equilibrium

PS, where did you find info on MC/RH equilibrium ? do you have a chart? www.Floorskills.co.uk equilibrium chart maybe? I ask as i dont know of any others that have found there way onto forums?

Thanks

Good to hear it should be nice and stable.

What are the factors I need to account for in deciding a ply thickness?

Bonding was the manufacturers recommendation also. However I have a heater pump under the floor in one corner which I am sure will pack up the second I bond the floor down :rolleyes:

Just going to Google slip tongue!

A bit of digging on the manufacturers website and I found a datasheet with expansion for a given change in MC and MC figures for a certain percentage RH values. Dont think I had spotted the Floorskills one, thanks.

what plywood you need will depend on how good the subfloor is. For gluedown you can normally get away with 6mm.

for nail down going the same direction as the floorboards you are really looking at 18mm + for security.

You may not find any thing for 'slip tongue'. It is a method of installing we teach. It goes by different names like 'false tongue' etc. Basically you make your own tongue and fit between two center boards. You end up with a tonque going both directions so when you nail you can control which way the flooring moves (both directions from center)

If your glueing down then you dont have to worry.

Also you are not glueing because you may need to get underneath? nailing is just as hard to get up.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like glue is the way to go then.

Ah I see what you mean now, thanks.

The area would be about 0.5m x 0.5m and I was going to use screws, thinking I could remove them easier than nails.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back