DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Big Job - moving a staircase - Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmacca1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new, but I really need some help with this, so hopefully someone will be able to advise.

My wife and I are about to buy a 1970's 3 bed detached in Gloucestershire. The stairs come down in to the living room which neither of us are that keen on.

It's obviously a big job, but would anyone have any idea of the cost and also if it is even possible to move a staircase like this:

Original floor plans:

idea for staircase move:

The ideal would be to keep the downstairs bathroom and a proportaion of the utility, but I know we may have to sacrifice the utility. {nb that bit left in the lounge is a fireplace}

Many years down the line (if finances allow) we'd also like to put on a side extension of a garage and 4th bedroom like this:

So the first floor stair-entry-point move would allow a doorway through to the extension... but that's way down the line

So the question is... is that even possible and if so ... what would be a ball park cost?

Many thanks, J
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
BigRobCanUFixIt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote

I had a similar situation to you 2 and a half years ago. I got a builder round to estimate the costs. with all making good and decorating of all 4 arrected rooms (in our case) with a wild guess on the plumbing and electrics he estimated 10 grand...

We bought the house. But the stairs are still there hehe.... I just moved a wall for a couple of hundered quid but not sure if you have other options.
 Alert Moderators
djmacca1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote

BigRobCanUFixIt wrote:
I had a similar situation to you 2 and a half years ago. I got a builder round to estimate the costs. with all making good and decorating of all 4 arrected rooms (in our case) with a wild guess on the plumbing and electrics he estimated 10 grand...

We bought the house. But the stairs are still there hehe.... I just moved a wall for a couple of hundered quid but not sure if you have other options.

yeah, moving the wall is by far easier and cheaper, but our living room would then become too narrow.

Any estimations on feasability and/or cost greatly appreciated...
 Alert Moderators
TheVictorian

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote

Anything is possible but under your circumstances would it not be best to wait until you have your extension done? That way you'll already have an architect on board who can advise on this and you also minimise what would be considerable disruption.
 Alert Moderators
djmacca1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote

TheVictorian wrote:
Anything is possible but under your circumstances would it not be best to wait until you have your extension done? That way you'll already have an architect on board who can advise on this and you also minimise what would be considerable disruption.

the stairs need to be moved so that you can walk from the first floor landing through to the extension... therefore I need to know if it would be possible to move the stairs BEFORE the extension gets built, otherwise there'd be no point having a 2 story extension if we can't move the stairs.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: