Black mould on roof boards in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 10 years old and for a while the plyboard panels in the loft above our en suite bathroom have been black. There has been a recurring problem whereby the venting hose connected to the extractor fan keeps coming off letting all the hot air loose in the loft. I was in the loft today and noticed the boards were quite damp to touch and when i ran my finger down them my finger was black. I noticed the venting hose had again become unattached from the fan and could well have been like this for a while. I checked the main bathroom fan too and this was the same. I have reattached the hoses and used brown parcel tape to secure them and hopefully stop this recurring but am worried about the damp black panels. Will they dry out ok or should i be getting a roofer in to look at them?

Sponsored Links
Ensuring that the fan ducting remains attached at all times is vital - introducing moist air into a loft is not a good idea!
By all means wipe the mould away, but the panels will dry on their own accord.
Ensure your loft has plenty of ventilation, too!
John :)

Thanks for that John, should i just use a damp sponge to wipe off the black stuff or should it be something stronger and do i need to wear a mask/goggles etc?

A weak bleach and water mix would be fine. Don't worry about a mask. Parcel tape will fail too btw.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you need to comprehensively replace the poor-quality ducting arrangements. You probably need a rigid adaptor to connect to the fan, fastened so that it cannot move and its weight tends to push it into position rather than pull it away. You might do better with rigid ducting, fixed to the loft timbers to keep them in place. Flop loft insulation over the ducts to prevent condensation. It is possible that condensed water in the hose might have added weight to pull it out of place.

there may be some suitable parts here http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?f...m=&priceTo=&priceFilterOn=&_requestid=1505527

Can you post some pics? //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

I'm a complete diy novice so was hoping to keep it simple by using parcel tape rather than having to replace parts. My Dad just mentioned gaffa tape and when i googled it duct tape came up, would this be better?
The adaptor you mentioned John, how does it work? Does it attach to end of hose and then goes into fan to hold it in place?

Pic 1 shows the area above en suite. Hose vents out to grill outside under eaves.
Pic 2 shows panel to left
Pic 3 shows panel above pic 1
Pic 4 shows area above main bathroom (not as bad as rarely used)

If thats the entire length of ducting that we can see Emma then its a short run and should be fine....however, for some reason the clip that holds the trunking to the fan outlet seems to be missing!
A replacement could be a 'jubilee' clip (google?) or failing that a strong cable tie.
Duct tape (gaffa tape) is much better than wrapping stuff....cloth backed and sticky as hell etc.
There sure has been some amount of condensation up there.....what sort of roof covering do you have.....slate / tile / felt etc?

Yes both hoses just drop down beyond where you can see in photos and lead out to the grills outside.

Ah, so you're saying there should be a clip attaching the hoses to the fans. I did wonder whether about this as there is nothing on either hose at all. A jubilee clip sounds a good idea. Is the hosing usually a standard size? (Just wondering what size clip to get).

The roof is tiled - just the modern red tiles (house 10 yrs old). This problem has been ongoing since 9.5 yrs ago when we got mould on the ensuite ceiling and thought the builder had forgotten to attach the hosing. We reattached it and just assumed it would be ok so hadn't really checked it since then. (Mores the pity!)

the hoses are nominally 4-inch diameter and vary from 102mm to about 110mm

If you cant get a clip of the correct size, smaller ones can be threaded together......they're often called worm drive or hose clips, depending on where you buy.

looks fine, and you get two in a pack so can do both.

Well I'd just put on the hose clips and put my mind at rest when i got an email from my Dad saying he's been told that a better idea is a big tie-wrap as apparently the hose clips can burst the hose if you're not careful about how tight you do it up!
They seemed fine as i put them on and tightened them so am I safe to assume it won't rip now I wonder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back