Can I lay Lino directly over porcelain floor tiles ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following previously posted bathroom flooring problems, I am thinking about laying a single piece of Lino directly on top of the porcelain floor tiles. These tiles are affixed onto 12mm ply board, which in turn is screwed onto a suspended timber floor.

Original problem was movement of subfloor lead to cracked floor tile grout and a tile too. I think that the plyboard was not screwed down in enough places. I know that the whole floor should be taken up but as it is the only bathroom in the house, the disruption and the cost of removing the bathroom suite and flooring and replacing would be too much to bear at present.

So, can I lay Lino directly over the floor tiles even though there will still be some movement of the subfloor and tiles?

Thanks to all in advance for useful replies.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
you say 'Lino' , i presume you mean vinyl ?

Lino is more a commercial product that you find in hospital wards etc. (no pattern)

Vinyl is the patterned stuff (like tile design or wood floor plank design) you find in people's kitchens / bathrooms.

I will presume you mean vinyl?

Either way the prep of subfloor needs to be perfect. A grain of salt will show up like a speed hump.

So your subfloor needs to be perfect.

Thank you for replying. I did not know the difference between Lino and vinyl. I am considering vinyl. Thanks for the advice re: sub floor. Clearly that needs to be sorted.

Thanks again.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
It depends how good you want it to look. You could lay straight over but the grout lines might show through. Really you should rip it all up and plywood the floor.
Or you could screed the floor with a flex type smoothing compound. Make sure you prime the tiles though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back