Carpet Fitting Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this might get asked all the time but just wanted some advice. We have a large living room in a first floor council flat which is solid concrete floor with brown floor tiles ontop.

At the minute we have a felt back carpet which is secured down with double sided tape as there is no gripper rods installed. This carpet has now been down for sometime and we are looking to replace this.

We are looking for another feltback carpet but this time with underlay as well but we are not sure if you can stick underlay down and then stick the carpet to the underlay.

I have been pricing up grippers etc to do it myself but its looking to cost a fair amount. Also contacted a few fitters local to us and works out about the same.

My main question is can you glue underlay down and then stick felt back carpet down to the underlay or not.

I know we wont get a good finish like we would if paying a fitter but just looking at best options.

Any advice will be great.

Chris

Sponsored Links
I dont think you have a choice on the gripper! which would be nailed or glued.
never heard of underlay being glued to the floor.

Maybe the carpety types know different, just my opinion.

you can fit the carpet on system 10 underlay, the underlay is laid and taped on the joint's, then you trowel F-Ball F3 or F44 adhesive and stick the carpet on top. Most fitters would prefer to use gripper round the edge, not to fix the carpet but to make a more even tuck round the skirting edges but it's not essential.

The problem is that to do it properly, the underlay and adhesive and labour (it's not really a DIY install) will probably be quite a bit more than the felt back carpet.

Many thanks for the advice. As you say i worked out getting someone to fit with grippers etc to cost double more than the carpet.

Carpet is only costing us like £65 and its a council flat so did not want to stick anything down if i can help it incase we move.

How easy is it just to fit the felt backed carpet stright onto the brown tile floor and for me to cut

Chris

you can fit the carpet on system 10 underlay, the underlay is laid and taped on the joint's, then you trowel F-Ball F3 or F44 adhesive and stick the carpet on top. Most fitters would prefer to use gripper round the edge, not to fix the carpet but to make a more even tuck round the skirting edges but it's not essential.

The problem is that to do it properly, the underlay and adhesive and labour (it's not really a DIY install) will probably be quite a bit more than the felt back carpet.

Sponsored Links
It's easy if you don't make a mistake!

System 10 doesn't leave anything as its loose laid with the carpet bonded to it but its pricey, at £65 just fit yourself, the carpet will be poor quality anyway and likely need Replacing often at that price point. Use heavy duty spray adhesive around the perimeter of the floor to fix felt back straight to the floor, this will leave a residue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back