Damp concrete floor preparation for parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all,

I have moved into a house built roughly in 1900, there is a parquet floor in the living room which has suffered from damp recently from the concrete floor - I had a damp inspection carried out by an independent surveyor which confirmed this. I have lifted the parquet blocks. As expected there is patchy bitumen adhesive residue all over the floor (not intended for dpm, or if it was it has failed and now needs rectifying). The floor is quite level other than the 1mm difference where the bitumen is. Hopefully there is an image attached below.

I have read through all (I think) the parquet/damp concrete sub-floor threads in this forum and picked up some great information. I have spoken to F.Ball, Sika and Ardex about how best to form a new DPM - so far my best option is this.

1. Clean floor (but leave bitumen residue that is sound).
2. Level with Arditex NA (advised by Ardex to isolate bitumen before DPM)
3. Epoxy DPM.
4. Level with Arditex NA again (advised by Ardex to form sandwich DPM)

This will work out quite expensive (for me anyway - £500 ish for floor leveller, dpm and parquet adhesive). Does anybody have any other suggestions/advice/cheaper methods of how to damp proof the floor effectively so that I can relay the blocks?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
That's what I do mate,
The Ardex dpm sandwich.
It's not cheap though.
I have been doing the same thing with f.ball this last few months too as bit cheaper.
Stopgap 1200 pro
f77 dpm
Stopgap 1200 pro

You can't stick wood direct to them though as the compression strength is lower then a lot of screeds.

Sponsored Links
Use a higher compression strength screed which means removing all the old adheisve.
I'd get a post up on the flooring forum mate. There are wood fitters on there that will tell you what screed is best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back