Dormers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering why i keep hearing that dormers are expensive when doing a loft conversion, they seem to add quite a bit to the price that people get quoted (having looked on various forums). Why is that, they don't seem very complicated?

Sponsored Links
Flat roof/ warm roof insulation, or multi faceted pitched/hipped roof, tilt n turn double glazed unit, dormer cheeks and leadwork detailing, rainwater goods, facings,soffits.
Dormers are labour intensive.

This one was 10k including 1st fix bathroom suite.

So the main thing is labour because it takes a while, how long did yours take, just the dormer i mean not the bathroom.

About 10 days if i remember rightly it was a couple of years ago.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, can i ask another - was that 1 man or a few? Just need to get some idea, because i'm thinking of having 3 or 4 built and they appear to be pretty costly!

That was myself, a joiner, plumber, and labourer for around a week then plumber,plasterer and ceramic tiler for a couple of days. to complete.

Without the bathroom related stuff, just a straight forward dormer i would imagine around the 6k mark

Edit...forgot the electrician :rolleyes: he was another day 1st and 2nd fix.

Thanks for that. I'm doing some guestimating now for a basic construction of a gable dormer, i'll do a full budget when i determine the actual sizes i need but for the time being am i missing anything obvious?

Timber £150.00
Ply £50.00
Soffit £14.00
Soffit Vent £9.00
Fascia £22.00
Window £450.00
Lead flashing £50.00
Insulation £50.00
Membrane £15.00
Gutter / Piping £15.00
Plasterboard £50.00
Plastering £50.00
Roof tiles £70.00

Total £995.00

Flooring.
tile battens.
Insulated plasterboard.
Vapour barrier.
Skirtings,facings,windowboard.
Electrics?

I dont think you will get a dormer plastered for £50.

You seem to have it covered though i think your prices may be a little on the lean side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back