Engineered wood flooring squeaking

far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have layed 30m2 of Oak engineered wood. The wood looks great but when you walk on it it squeaks ! I have checked the expansion gap and that is ok, the floorboards are in good condition and the underlay was reccomened by Floors to go, where i bought the wood from.
Asked the manager to come and inspect. He says it should settle down in time and that all wood flooring makes a noise ! I haved layed several laminate floors and never had a problem.
I am wondering if i glue the tounge & grooves even though its a click system would this get rid of the squeaking ?
Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
What is the total build-up?

1.Floorboards, underlay, concrete?

2.Floorboards, underlay, insulation concrete?

only badly laid or poor quality flooring makes a noise.

If it is 1 I would check the level of the screed (uneaveness allows the boards to flex and rub against each other/underlay.

If its 2 then the insulation panels can also rub against each other/flex and allow the floorboards to rub.

Likely gluing the tongues together will solve it, but that's obviously something that once done, is done. Give more details of the floor build-up and floorboard itself in case I missed anything.

Thanks for the quick reply.
3/4 of the floor is Timber floorboards which are in good condition. All secure and no uneveness. Underlay 500mm x 1200mm x 5mm (The Leveller) as recommended by Floors to go. Engineered Oak wood 130mm x 2200mm x 15mm.
The other 1/4 of the flooring is in a conservatory. Concrete base, thin roll of DP then the leveller on top.
Concrete base level was checked before laying the wood.
Could it be the T & G on the flooring is at fault ?
Cheers

Do the squeaks happen in both rooms?

Do the boards feel like they flex slightly, in that the membrane compresses allowing them to rub against each other?

It may be that as the clip system doesn't rigidly fix them together, and the membrane is slightly compressible, things rub. Gluing the boards together may solve this.

It's worth figuring out if it is the floorboards rubbing against each other, or the floorboards rubbing against the membrane, if the latter a sheet of polythene can act as a slip membrane and eliminate this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back