Engineered wooden flooring over underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a new apartment on the 2nd floor of a 7 storey block. It has underfloor (1950s) heating and we'd like to lay down engineered wood flooring. After much search I've realised that gluing down the floor is best but here in France there are many shops which state that I'd need to glue a layer of cork under the wood. They say that for the neighbors and possible future legal conflict it's necessary. Is this the case or can I just glue the wood straight onto the concrete floor? Also, is it really not advisable to float the floor? The cost of extra adhesive and cork will be significant - not to mention the extra work load!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The cork is used as extra sound reducing underlayment. Every country has its own "rules and regulations" on this.
If this is the case, installing the floor floating would be possible IF you are sure the underlayment you'll be using has the same sound reducing effect as the cork would do.

Thanks for the response. What are the dangers of floating the floor as opposed to gluing when underfloor heating is involved? Everyone here seems to be adamant that gluing is the only way. Can you give me an example of the kind of underlay you're talking about?

Sponsored Links
Are there certain types of engineered wood flooring which can't be used over underfloor heating?

In Britain your lease will state what type of floor covering is allowed - many will state carpet i.e. no wood (for noise reasons ).

You can check with the neighbours what they do but nobody here can say what problems you could face if you don't conform to the lease.

I would also try to find out more about the UFH. In the 50's/60's they were still learning and made some bad mistakes e.g. spacing pipes 50 cm apart and putting water through at 70 C which gave uncomfortable hot spots and could cause phlebitis ( heavy-leg syndrome ) if your chair was above it ( at that time UFH was mostly used in public buildings like council offices so people were often sat in the same place for long periods.)

These early problems were the basis for legislation still in force today that the surface temperature of the floor must not exceed 30 C.

Are there certain types of engineered wood flooring which can't be used over underfloor heating?
Those with a too thin a top layer (say veneer with only 0.6mm top layer) and those with MDF of HDF backing.
Further more it is down to quality and grades. Don't get a too rustic grade with open large knots

So after much thought I think we'll go for floating the floor because if there are any problems in the future we'll be able to deal with it easily - having us the option to glue it down.
Anyone know of a good underlay suitable for under floor heating in France? I've heard Tuplex is quite good. What sort of thing should I be looking for?

There are very few french-based contributors, so you'll be lucky to get an answer to such a specific question.

If you are francophone, try a French site ( I can't recommend any flooring ones )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back