Extending a landing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Newbie here so I hope im asking this in the correct section and you guys will be able to help me.

Ive not long moved into a quirky house which has a double height living room, from which the stairs and landing to the upstairs bedrooms run off!! (will add some pictures)

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

What i would like to do is to extend/continue the landing into the alcove (darker coloured wall with the light on) so i am able to have some sort of desk in the alcove recess and therefore removing the computer out of one of the rooms, returning it to a bedroom.

My question is, what would be the best, strongest, most supportive way of doing this?

The current landing is constructed from the floor joist in the bedrooms protruding past/through the bedroom wall. (continuation of the bedroom floor joists)

My thought was........ I could follow the same principle as the original landing and extend the bedroom joist by sistering them and extend them through the wall, in the same way the original landing is constructed. But would sistering be strong enough? The joists in the bedroom are 7 x 2 and are in bedded in the outside wall. I would only be able to sister a 6x2 joist to the bedroom joist due to pipe work.

The new landing will need to be extended out of the bedroom by 30 inches wide.

The small bit of wall under the landing you can see in the first to pictures is a concrete lintel and the wall on you left in the last picture is studded.

I could draw a quick plan in 'paint' if it would provide any further assistance.

Thank you

Martin

Sponsored Links
If you don't get any replies, contact the moderator and ask for it to be moved to "Building". Structural issues usually dealt with there.

i have already answered to this thread ??
was it here or on a different forum :D ??

Cheers mointainwalker think I will do.

Big all. Yeh, also posted it on another forum but not had much response. Looking todo it soon after the new year. Hoping for some good positive replays. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes,,, a sister joist could be added from the top of the staircase running right through the balcony to connect with the wall in the alcove, (must be connected and supported by brickwork) so through the dot n dab plasterboard.
An inner joist could be supported by a joist hanger (from balcony) and an additional upright (midway) and a further upright in the corner of the alcove. Both uprights could be either boxed in or solid hardwood.

Floor joists inbetween and flooring panels on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back