Floating floor - underlay advise with good thermal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently replacing our laminate floors throughout with engineered wood. The new floor product I am using is 10mm thick with a 2.5mm wearing layer. I received a free sample from a company on-line that I was impressed with, so have now ordered 30sqm.

The floor is to be laid on suspended timber floors. The sub floor void is unheated and often feels cold to walk on in the winter even with central heating on. Currently we have 8mm laminate and 5.5mm fibre board.

I am trying to select an underlay that will improve conditions (i.e. better than 5.5mm fibreboard). I'm aware of this depron product (either 3mm or 6mm thick - link below) which I believe can be used.

http://depronfoam.com/depron-foam/depron.html

Has any one had any experiences with this? is it s a good insulator, or or fibre boards still the best option?

What are the professionals using as a favourite underlay these days?

Thank you for reading

Cheers

Rick85

Sponsored Links
This has been discussed in several threads on the Forum, a product that thin will not make a noticeable difference. The solution is to insulate the floor beneath the existing boards but you know that anyway really don't you.

was planning to see how it goes with just the depron and flooring down first.

Already have enough rock wool and chicken wire to insulate under but reluctant to do this is it can be avoided due to the knock on effect this can have with timber.

Could you advise on topic links of previous discussions?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
We would use Timbermate Duratex in your case (3.6mm rubbery underlay for wooden floors). Do not purchase anything that'll block the normal ventilation since you're having existing floorboards (think the depron will block this, due to the material it is made from).
Use the wrong product and you could end up with condensation underneath your floorboards = moist and even rotting of the joists.

We would use Timbermate Duratex in your case (3.6mm rubbery underlay for wooden floors). Do not purchase anything that'll block the normal ventilation since you're having existing floorboards (think the depron will block this, due to the material it is made from).
Use the wrong product and you could end up with condensation underneath your floorboards = moist and even rotting of the joists.
If the void is ventilated with air bricks to the outside as it should be sealing the floor boards will not be an issue and condensation will be unable to form. Unless the OP does not have adequate ventilation in which case he should get some in no matter what. :p

WYL

You are very well informed for above floor-surfaces, but think you need to review what you know about below floor.

We base this type of advice on too many disasters we see/hear when a underlayment with DPM has been installed over existing floorboards.

Not adding DPM over floorboards will not harm, adding it can harm. Therefore: better safe than sorry.

As mentioned, if ventilation is adequate condensation then underside of the floor will not occur. The disasters you have seen are caused by poor ventilation of the void, air not being allowed to flow through the void.

I know that, you know that.
Some diy-ers (and professionals) only read what they want to read - no matter how many details you put in there - and think but don't check their ventilation is more than fine.

Thanks for all the input guys.

My sub floor is well ventilated with air bricks 1.5m spacing around perimeter.

Cant see why the underlay needs to allow the timber floor construction to breathe considering it can do so from the underside via the air bricks / sub floor. Hence the reluctance to stuff rock wool between the joists for the time being.

Will have a look at the suggested underlay WYL. Any ideas where I can get it from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back