Gap betw skirting boards/floor of upstairs bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Please could anyone offer me any advice. When we moved into our house the prev owners had knocked through from the lounge to the dining area. upstairs where the bedroom partitioning wall is there is a gap between the skirting board and the floor of about half an inch. Our instant reaction is to think its because the right things werent put in place when they removed the wall - does anyone know? I can get a builder out to look but just want to have an idea before I do.. thanks :)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome SamSim12 :D :D :D

probably cut for laminate flooring to get underneath assuming its bare floor boards

Thanks very much for your reply and for your warm welcome... most appreciated.
The wall is the wall between two bedrooms and although one bedroom has laminate the other one doesnt - its difficult to explain but it looks like the floor has come away from the skirting board... which makes me worry that its the floor that has sunk because the wall has been taken away downstairs... mmm not very technical minded - sorry - hope that makes sense!! :confused:

ok you say the downstairs wall has been remove i assume without support
is there a solid wall abouve the missing wall if so whats above that wall

Sponsored Links
Yes the wall downstairs has been removed to create a large kitchen/diner. The wall directly above that is the wall that separates two of my bedrooms - this is an internal wall - not sure if that answers your question?! sorry

Do your floorboards run paralell with your wall as this would indicate that the wall was or is supporting the floor. If the boards are at 90* to the wall then the floor is supported by the other exsisting walls.
When a floor is unsupported it very often sags rather than drops as a whole thing so your gap wouldn't be a straight even gap or if it has dropped then it would show up with a tapered gap under the skirtings on the adjacent walls i.e. the other end of the floor joists wouldn't have moved.
My gut feeling is that the skirting has been fitted this way, there is a train of thought that says to allow for carpet to actually go under the skirting although I usually scribe skirtings to the floor.
Either way look at the skirting all around the room, is the gap there all the way round or is it tapered on two walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back