Knocking out under stairs cupboard help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone thinking of knocking out the u set stairs cupboard but will it be ok making sure the wood isn't supporting etc ?
some pics
inside facing out

I think this has been added at some point as there a a switch like a light switch half through wall what there is no pic of I want to know if load bearing or supporting and should I be able to remove all the wood in the pic that's high up in 4-5th pic etc, also in the 2nd pic were the wall sticks out for some reason will I be able to remove that back to normal ceiling height so flows straight through ?

also the pipes in one pic think will have to just box in as would cost fortune to get moved what is best material to use to box in MDF or plaster board etc ?

and would you get the ceiling that has old lumpy style roof and along the underside of stairs plastered ?

thanks so much dean any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
The stairs are supported by their stringers so you can safely remove the cupboard frame and panel if you want to. Boxing in the pipes you can use mdf or plywood.

so I can remove the wood in the pics ? also the sticking out bit in pic 2 so the roof is level with cupboard ? also any pics of this been done were looks good would be great as trying to convince my fiancée lol

Thanks for help dean

Sponsored Links
the long lengths of wood running either side of the stairs are supported top and bottom, nothing else is supporting. I actually don't think a void space under the stairs looks better than what you've got because they either end up as unused space or a place to pile junk where everyone can see it. but if you do do it be prepared to batten and board it out and skim afterwards. if you plan it a bit you can conceal the pipes behind the boards to avoid boxing and get a clean finish. personally I would just renovate what you have by setting the top bit of the stud wall back flush with the rest of the wall and maybe fitting a new cupboard door and architrave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back