Laminate Flooring Sound Insualtion - Overkill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a upstairs flat and am looking at installing a new laminate floor onto the original floorboards. I was to maximise the sound insulation when I do it, but I am limited to working above the boards only. (Downstairs have fragile downlighters and I don;t want to risk diskurbing them)

My plan is to put down a 5mm fibreboard then a 6mm exterior plywood which will be screwed at 9 inch (can be adjusted) intervals. Then a standard 3mm rolled underlay, then the laminate which is about 14mm.

I know its a lot of flooring, but the height is not an issue. (5+6+3+14mm), my concern is, by doubling up on the insulation am I introducing too much bounce? Do you think the fibreboard will be that soft after being heavily screwed through with the Plywood?

If not, I've been recommended to do as above, but without the fibreboard (Just 6mm ply, roll insulation and laminate)

Long post! ANy thoughts??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
does your lease allow you to lay it?
just check before you have to remove it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back