laying on damp concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas or solutions? We have a single story extention to the rear of our victorian cottage with a bathroom and utility area. It has a concrete base and probably has no damp membrane as the extention is very old. Our plan is to knock it down within 5 years to extent our home with a double hieght extention so i am not looking for expensive long term solution to a damp issue.

We are novices which is why we are in our current situation! We have recently gutted the bathroom due to it being cold and damp, we have a 6 month old baby so thought we should do something to make it more pleasant for the sort term. We have lined the walls with insulation, plasterboard and skimmed plus we levelled the floor with layex self levelling stuff so we are ready to reassemble. We purchased lino for the floor thinking it would feel warmer than tiles. Now realise we might have underestimated the damp concrete issue and have missed our opportinity to put on a paintable dpm or maybe shouldnt have purchased lino (£150 wasted?) Floor was an afterthought!

Qu:
Is there a paintable dpm you can lay lino straight on to?
I have researched stopgap isolater but is there anywhere you can get 4m from?
Should we just lay lino and hope for the best? How long might it last?
Would a dpm just send more damp into the utility anyway?
Is there a more breathable floor we can lay?

This is our only bathroom and we have so far been without a bathroom (using kind neighbours or driving to familes homes for facilities) for 10 days. My husband has wednesday off work to put it all back together so we need to decide what to do quickly.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What about putting down a plastic membrane and laying over 6mm ply fixed to the wall battens not through floor? Would this protect the Lino for a few years?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back