Levelling a damp concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've looked at the sticky's and searched the forum but not had much luck in finding my answer...

I have a fairly damp & uneven concrete floor, probably about 20 years old or more. I want to avoid digging it up if I can. I see the advice is:
*Primer
*Acrylic Self Levelling Compound
*Liquid DPM
*Self Levelling Compound of choice

However, I can't seem to find any acrylic based self levelling compounds. Plenty of cement/latex/fibre based compounds available.

Can anyone recommend a suitable acrylic compound... Or would I be okay with using a latex one?

And how about KA tanking slurry... Is it worth using this instead of the first compound?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old posts above and things have changed since then

What floor covering will you be having?
Can you post pictures up of the sub floor?
Yes a moisture tolerance latex screed can be used.

Hi dazlight,

Please see images attached of sub floor.
I am still in the process of removing the old glued vinyl tiles.

The new flooring is likely to be laminate wood.

The moisture on the floor appears to be working it's way from the edges of the floor. Last night I dug out a square patch of concrete that appears to have been repaired at some point in the past. As you can see, there is a water pipe running along the edge of the kitchen and the DPM on the repair seems to have been compromised, explaining why the repaired patch was loose.

The concrete floor appears to be about 2 inch thick, laid directly on top of bricks for the majority of the kitchen. I can't see any DPM on this area. The area that I have dug out is mainly 2 inch concrete directly on DPM which is on top of clay/debris. I intend to repair this patch properly with some new DPM and some form of tanking to enhance the seal around the edges.

As the moisture is working its way in from the edge of the floor, I guess I need to tank the edges up to the brickwork. The brickwork appears to have some DPC at 150mm above ground level.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Right mess that eh. Really it needs digging up and a new sand & cement screed putting it but if putting laminate down and you want to help stopping moisture getting through the sub floor you could

1, remove all tiles an as much adhesive as you can.
2, leave floor as long as you can to air an dry out a bit.
3 latex screed with Ardex NA
4 Ardex dpm 1c dpm
5 a good dpm underlay for laminate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back