Loft boarding/insulation issues 1930's house......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have own a 1930's house for about 2 years and we are finally looking to move some of our excess stuff into the loft space to free up the space in our spare room.

There has been some kind of loft boarding done prior to us buying the house but I am unconvinced about how well it has been done.

It seems like the loft boards are directly screwed into the joists, with some kind of loose fill insulation, then to top it off there is a polystyrene wedges in the eves.

What is the standard practice for boarding and insulating a loft?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mandy

Sponsored Links
If the board are screwed down to the ceiling joists, what's the problem if you are just using the space for light storage?
Ideally the eaves should be clear to allow adequate ventilation.

If the board are screwed down to the ceiling joists, what's the problem if you are just using the space for light storage?
Ideally the eaves should be clear to allow adequate ventilation.

I don't know is there an issue with boarding a loft in this manner???........that is why i had posted this thread in the first place to find out what the deal is with boarding and insulation a loft correctly. I presume loose fill insulation is not standard practice for insulation lofts these days too.

If there are some folk that have a little more insight to boarding and insulation a loft correctly to keep the house that little warmer that would be great.

Sponsored Links
I think the point being made is that there are no hard and fast rules about boarding, other than making sure you don't overload and that it is sufficiently supported, rather than just loose sheets perched over joists.

As far as insulation is concerned then a depth of 270mm is the minimum specified in Building Regs for new properties and should be the target for anyone trying to improve existing insulation. As you already have some loose-lay that can easily be topped up with any of the available rolls of insulation to achieve the recommended depth. But do keep it away from the eaves to allow adequate air flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back