replacing floorboards before fitting amtico

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I plan on having amtico fitted in my bathroom which is being refurbished. the firm who are going to install it sent a guy to measure up. I wasn't in at the time but he told my wife that some of the floorboards had a high moisture content and due to holes etc in others he recomended replacing all the boards (about 5m2). My question is this should i replaces boards like for like ie normal tongue & groove boards or should i lay ply etc

Sponsored Links
Hi
I plan on having amtico fitted in my bathroom which is being refurbished. the firm who are going to install it sent a guy to measure up. I wasn't in at the time but he told my wife that some of the floorboards had a high moisture content and due to holes etc in others he recomended replacing all the boards (about 5m2). My question is this should i replaces boards like for like ie normal tongue & groove boards or should i lay ply etc

Amtico and indeed ANY type of LVT flooring requires a lot of floor preparation before "sticking down the floor" - otherwise it lifts!

with a wooden sub-floor this MUST include ply......(and almost certainly screed as well (on top of ply)

as to the "stability" or "integrity" of your wooden sub-floor - without seeing it I (nor anyone else on here) can comment

If the firm who came round have not mentioned this to you then clearly you should get someone else in who knows what they are doing..........

can I suggest you use the search facility - type in variations on "problems" or "lifting", include "amtico" and also try "karndean" or "LVT"
.....this should convince you how important it is NOT to cut corners!!!

....Good luck

Who is the firm?

I would ensure that you use someone who's been on their installation course. Might be worth reading their literature

http://www.amtico.com/technical-info[/QUOTE]

I sell flooring...........(used to I am now retired)

I did so for over 30 years...............

Going on the course does not mean you can fit this (or indeed any) type of flooring (the people running the course are only interested in their fee, not your competency!!!!)

My business ran anything up to 6 plus teams of fitters, they had all been on the course (at least that is what they claimed) Fitters tend to "attend" the polyflor course as it the cheapest, fitters tend to lie and wear a freely given out "amtico" t-shirt

................I would only "trust" half of them to fit LVT and me not end up with a complaint :cry:

...................the "correct" enquiry should relate to "how many" installations they have done, and where, and can I have their phone number!!!!, further more "your contract" should be with the retailer not the fitter, - shops tend to last, fitters tend to drift!

Sponsored Links
If you want advice about Amtico call them up and speak to their tech team. Real helpful people

If you want advice about Amtico call them up and speak to their tech team. Real helpful people

WTF has that got to do with this thread????????????

..................dis you not read my posts?????????????????

Are you a troll???????????????????????????????????????

I am retired - I do not give a F**k

..............what is your excuse???????????????????????????????

If your floorboards are dater damaged then yes then will need replacing with new floorboards or 18mm plywood. Then then the Floorlayer who's doing the job should be using SP101 plywood over your boards.

It's the best plywood out there for gluing LVTs too. Be worried if they use some Chinese ply.

a high moisture content in floorboards will not be fixed by changing them. there is something causing them to have a high moisture content.

ask the installer what the floorboards MC is along with area Humidity and temperature to end up advicing you to change floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back