Replacing split stair floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting a new carpet fitted tomorrow and whilst we were taking up the old carpet today we found that one of the corner steps has a split all the way across it.

We decided that we would ask a joiner to come and replace it However I've just spoken to my dad who said it might cause more problems trying to replace it than leaving it alone. This is a picture of the split: http://imgur.com/nncfU

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of replacing floorboards in a staircase. Or is there a way to toughen up the step - my dad suggested using expanding glue and someone else said to put a piece of thin hardboard on the step.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
To replace that tread would be a difficult and - probably - completely unnecessary job. The treads are usually set in grooves ('housings') cut in the side timbers ('strings') of the staircase and this is what makes it difficult to remove a tread.
If the tread is not noticeably bending when walked on, there is no structural problem. The only issue you might have is possible eventual wear in the carpet just over the crack. You mentioned applying hardboard to the tread and this would be an effective way of preventing wear. Just remember to thoroughly wet the hardboard on the rough side and leave it a few hours before fixing. This way it will tighten down on to the tread as it shrinks.Alternatively, glue it down. Also, round off the leading edge of the hardboard to prevent wear on the carpet.

Thanks very useful. We fixed it today. Used glue and a thin piece of hardboard. Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back