solid wood flooring onto chipboard and bitchumen solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi trying to find some info on how to lay a wood floor,
all of downstairs in the house except kitchen its one large living room 7.7m x 3.5m the hallway is 1.8m x 2.3m

mainly chipboard suspended wooden floor and going into the hallway which is a black bitumen solid floor , the bitumen floor is maybe 3-4 mm higher

do i glue the t and g, nail or glue the whole thing down plus how would i get it to line up with the hall

its the green 18mm t and g chipboard laid a few months ago

with out any knowledge i thought i was just going to nail it but been reading some bits on the web saying don't bother

some quick replies as homebase have a sale on and 20% off code but

also what wood wood be best sizes and solid or engineered

thanks

Sponsored Links
That "offer" will have too many short lengths, so your caught between a rock and a hard place when you have a chipboard subfloor such as you do.

Get a decent wood-engineered floor and install it floating, using an 3mm foam underlayment without a DPM

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of the solid boards. If too many short lengths or narrow boards: at least 8mm ply (12mm would be better).
See here: Solid Floors - what to note for more info on when and why solid floors need to be fully bonded (or nailed)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back