Striped carpet on stairs winder not right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First post so sorry if anything appears in wrong place :oops:
As in header. We have just had striped (busy) carpet fitted to stairs which the fitter took a template of last week but the winder section seems wrong with some not lined up. I do understand from reading other posts that this is complicated but I was not advised of this potential by the fitter. Anyway I took some photos as when you look up the stair the riser piece of carpet is leaning at an angle as well as not marrying up. It appears not to be fitted snuggly to the stair nose/lip and you can put your hand between the carpet and stair :confused: So the effect is that it leans to the right as the verticals arent - if you see what I mean. Should this carpet be tacked tightly to the riser as they did do this at the foot of stairs and top? I sent images my album.
The guy is coming back latter today to view as I was not really impressed.
Any advice or am I being too fussy?
Thanks.
Stuart.

Sponsored Links
Your pics:

Firstly the tightness of the fitting etc looks ok, but for whatever reason, the winder does'nt look rght, definately, the pattern match has not been allowed for on the cut for that step, the lines should match in the centre to the last step of the first run, all other lines will be out, and the next set of stairs may be out, but the center line should line up.

It's difficult to see and I think it's an optical illusion, but the carpet looks like it's not laying square over the nosing and is at an angle, but I'm sure it;s an optical trick of the camera,

Here is a closed cover install of Louis de Poortere Color-Net that our fitters fitted a few months ago, correctly measured and fitted, the centre lines can be matched (but not the others)

There is nothing technically incorrect with the gap between carpet and riser as shown in your second picture, it certainly is'nt effecting the reasoning for the winder step to look 'wrong'

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Thanks for your comments and piccs crazydaze :)
The main shop owner called yesterday and said he could do better so he is coming again on friday. He seemed to think that tacking the carpet back tight to the riser would look bad. It was not me he spoke to but my wife who is more forgiving I guess but I still think that if the verticals are not vertical and the carpet leans it is always going to look odd. Anyway my wife seems happy with everything else so we will see.
I was thinking about fitting some stair rods latter myself so that may detract from some of the evidence :confused:
Thanks .
Stuart.

Sponsored Links
If you pin the carpet to the riser it's true to say that it can look puckered, I prefer the method used on yours and am sure that the step can be re-done and improved

Let us know how you get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back