Vinyl tiles over cracked ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of any problems with laying vinyl tiles over cracked ceramic tiles? (ie does it show through?)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a severe lack of info in your post.....

so - the existing ceramic tiles, are they only cracked? are there bits missing?
more importantly is there a noticeable grout line that is lower than the height of the tile?

next - vinyl tiles - do you mean "self-adhesive" or LVT (karndean type)?

Sponsored Links
Lol, it's allowed mate. But you are right we need more info

Take tiles up and screed.
Or
If tiles are solid prime and screed with Ardex NA or a fibre screed.

Apologies,

I am very much a beginner. These tiles are in a conservatory, with underfloor electric heating, which caused the tiles to crack over time. Apparently the potential for tile cracking was in the fine print for our contract with the conservatory people that arranged installation.

There are no cracks with pieces missing. Just line cracks along the width of the tiles. We are wanting to move house and a quick fix to hide these tiles. Can anyone advise what do to that is cheap? (apart from using furniture to hide them)

I don't think the tiles buckled so I think we still have an even floor.

Thanks,
J

If there are no grout lines.....

i.e. the floor is smooth consider sheet vinyl

If there are grout lines these will show through!

What about a large rug?

A piece of cushion floor but fill ground lines in with a rapid screed like Ardex a45.

Apologies,

I am very much a beginner. These tiles are in a conservatory, with underfloor electric heating, which caused the tiles to crack over time. Apparently the potential for tile cracking was in the fine print for our contract with the conservatory people that arranged installation.

There are no cracks with pieces missing. Just line cracks along the width of the tiles. We are wanting to move house and a quick fix to hide these tiles. Can anyone advise what do to that is cheap? (apart from using furniture to hide them)

I don't think the tiles buckled so I think we still have an even floor.

Thanks,
J

Any idea what the subfloor structure is? If the tiles are fitted on chipboard/hardboard, then they will have cracked because they should have been fitted on heavy duty ply.

If it's a concrete subfloor, was it dry when the tiles were fitted? i.e. the tiles probably should'nt have been fitted for approx 3 months after the conservatory was sealed by the windows and roof being fitted UNLESS a liquid DPM and screed were used to level and seal the floor before the tiles were fitted to it.

Ceramic Tiles don't just crack under 'heat' they usually crack because of movement in the tile (not fitted correctly) or movement in the floor (not prepared correctly)

I'd hazard a guess that the conservatory company are fobbing you off to some extent with the small print being used to disuade customers from questioning possible incorrect fitting procedures.

As for remedialing the floor you have, as have been said, how smooth are the tiles???

There are a number of methods and products available to cover the tiles successfully, but depending on the finish of the tiles and the out put of the UFH system, it will depend on which method and product will be best to sort the issue. The worst thing you can do is put too thick product over the floor as this will at best reduce the efficiency and performance of the UFH system, or at worst knacker it, which a new buyer may decide was your responsibilty even after a sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back