What is more effective for floorboard draught protetcion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Draught ex vs wedged wood, which would be more effective foprt draught proofing, i am not asking about looks.

Also is placing a carpet more effective then the above two?

Sponsored Links
yes.

tell us more about the floorboards.

Ground floor or above?

Age?

is there crawl space under?

It is a first floor flat.

I have no idea how old the flat or floor is.

There is no crawl space underneath.

Sponsored Links
if it is a first floor flat, then the draught is probably coming from gaps in the brickwork under the floor, as plastered celings are not usually draughty unless they have holes in them. If the house was built since about 1940 then it probably has cavity walls and the joists will protrude into the cavity, usually with gaps round them. As you don't know if it a Victorian house or a 1990's house I can't guess.

you could probably deal with it best by taking up the floorboards adjacent to the wall, and stuffing loft insulation between the joists. If you see any visible gaps you could fill them with mortar or expanding foam.

If you are troubled by dust you can hoover out the space under the floor while you have some boards up. A hoover hose will be useful as you can poke it along.

You can use an acrylic or silicon flexible filler in the gap between the skirting and the floor, but do any floorboard work first, and clean the gap well or it will not stick. You will have to cut it out if you want to move the floorboards later.

Look out for loft insulation where the fibres have a coating to prevent glass dust and shed fibres. It is some of the Knauf grades, it will mention "Ecose" on the packaging and is widely sold. Not the yellow stuff.

http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/sustainability/ecose®_technology.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back