can you plant crops in used cannabis soil ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I arrived at my workshop last week and as it is in an old woollen mill complex it has extensive grounds and during the weekend some very nice chaps had decided to fly tip a load of black bags around the back section of the mill. On closer inspection, as i maintain the premises etc.., I tore open a bag and found it to contain a load of soil/compost and a large pot shaped chunk of soil with a stump of a plant in the centre. After opening more and also finding empty fertiliser bags etc... it was obvious that someone has harvested a crop of cannabis and donated the rest to our back yard. We called the police at the time and they in turn treated it as fly tipping due to the plants/soil being of no use anymore so they called the council and the council said they would send a van round to remove it. After 8 days we still have the full 40 odd bags. Now to my question.. Could I , as an allotment holder, actually re-use the compost after sieving it several times to remove any roots as it is lovely compost and also would it transfer any after taste to any crops i were to produce from it ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes, but spray anything that comes up with Weedol to avoid any unpleasantness

is it a peaty compost? will usually improve soil texture

i would inform the local police and ask them to put it on record so if any seeds germinate anywhere on your property you are covered

they may also want to try and find fingerprints

We had the police out and they just said as it was no use anymore i.e. the plants had been harvested and this lot was basically just a waste product, then it was just classed as fly tipping but due to the nature of the waste they called the council to collect and dispose of it. That was early last week so I figure that if they don't want to collect it I may as well use it. I have brought 2 bags of it home tonight and after removing the stumps and sieving it twice it comes out as a lovely fertile looking compost so I will definately be giving it a go with a few tomato plants. Does anyone kow if there would be any infusion from the soil which may affect the fruits in the taste department ?

Sponsored Links
thc is the active substance would assume if there was any in the roots or stems worth collecting it would be removed by the dealers and processed

so assume non otherwise the police would classify it as hazardous/dangerous ect

Nothing wrong with it, if the cannabis was too well looked after you may find your new soil is rather high in nutrients so used sparingly, but definetly use it.

Thanks for the inputs... I have salvaged it all, seived it and bagged it and now have almost 10 X 50 litre bags of the finest looking compost I have ever set eyes on. With a bit of luck it will still be bursting with goodness so will be perfect for my 18ft X 24 ft polytunnel... oh happy days !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back