Concrete Slab in front of Bay and Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Im after a bit of advice regarding some concrete slabs that sit at the front of the house.

I am about to sort out the front of the house but there are two unsightly concrete slabs that are in front of the bay window and front door. The drive is already covered in stones but only upto these slabs.
The one in front of the bay is in a worse state than the door on.

I was wondering if its ok to to crack these up and remove them both and if so do you know if they are likely to be deep or just a foot or so deep.

Once they are removed what measures should i take before covering the area with driveway stone. Do i need to seal/protect the brickwork on the bay where i have taken the slab out?

Thanks in advance and hope its clear what i mean with the pictures.The house is from the 1930s.

thanks in advance
Adrian

Sponsored Links
I would keep the door one if you can, much better to have a bit of concrete than loose stone, should mean less dirt trampled in the house

have you tried digging next to them to check depth? that would be the first thing i'd do...

I would keep the door one if you can, much better to have a bit of concrete than loose stone, should mean less dirt trampled in the house

I agree, or replace it with a nice slab of sandstone.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. I have not cheeked the depth yet, I was just enquiring in case someone knew what they were off the top of their head or had dealings with such constructions of houses of this age.

Good idea about the door slab. We already had ideas to replace it with a new step as there is a 6" square slab/ step between the one in the picture and upto the front door under an archway .

Was thinking of using some bullnose blocks in semi circle to create gradual steps to the door.

The door base is approx 10" higher than the slab seen in the pic

Adrian

The path could just be covered in fresh gravel, gravel on concrete can be like marbles but your unlikely to walk on it and nice slabs could be used to build up on top of the step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back