Cutting tall grass/weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive let the garden go this year and some of it is 5-6ft tall

I've used my strimmer to cut it down. I have just got a petrol lawn mower to go over it to get it down further

1. Do I need to rake it before running the lawn mower?
2. Can the lawn mower bemused over rough ground?

Plan is to get the grass cut, then turn the lot over before laying down turf[/youtube]

Sponsored Links
You need to rake it before mowing as the long grass will endlessly clog the mower. Best to cut it first without box on then again with.

As for using it over rough ground its up to you, as long as there is no hard debris, rubble old washline bases etc then it;l be fine. If your not sure a visual walkover is time well spent. Its cheaper than a bent crankshaft.

You need to rake it before mowing as the long grass will endlessly clog the mower. Best to cut it first without box on then again with.

As for using it over rough ground its up to you, as long as there is no hard debris, rubble old washline bases etc then it;l be fine. If your not sure a visual walkover is time well spent. Its cheaper than a bent crankshaft.

Maybe stones in the soil, but can't get rid of all of the

When you see the regrowth starting, consider spraying it off with a glyphosate based weed killer. Leave it for a few weeks, then it will be easier to cut with the mower. Give it a hard raking to get the soil loosened and shake on the lawn seed. Use plenty of seed and roll or rake in.

Sponsored Links
The above advice is mental.

Completely kill the lawn with weedkiller then hope by shaking in some lawn seed it will magically re-grow???

Spraying the lawn will just leave a dead lawn, you would need to rotovate then re-level and re-seed at the very least, just raking it, no matter how hard will never break it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back