Decking tiles - need to level surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning on installing 30 sqm of decking in a few weeks and have been offered a relatively good price for some deck tiles (similar to this http://www.decking-tiles.co.uk/?gclid=COqpiqadua8CFQdb3wodTzd-jQ)

The ground where these are going isn’t particularly even and there is a 10 cm difference from highest to lowest, my idea to combat this was to build a level timber frame, fill with sand or gravel, and compact to give me a level base to lay the tiles on.

I have seen gravel recommended for decking tiles before but was wondering if:

1. Anybody has had experience laying deck tiles this way
2. Would sand be ok vs. gravel (for cost purposed).

I would slope the base slightly away from the house and put a weed proof membrane down first.

I know that this probably isn’t what people would recognise as a transitional way to lay a deck, but it seems to be the best way to make these tiles work for me barring laying a concrete slab of course!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Any ideas on this, thinking of starting soon so want to know if I should ditch this method or persevere.

I have come to the conclusion the gravel is the best option, but my main worry is if this will affect the drainage on the part the will be over a patio? Drainage is fine at the moment so assume water could penetrate through in the same way

sand is a bad idea because it will hold water on the tiles rotting them quicker. 6mm grit or very fine gravel would be perfect but may be hard to get.

Hi, thanks for the reply. What about 10mm pea shingle? only asking as it is a third of the price.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back