Examples of nails suitable for treated wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read that treated wood is highly corrosive to most metal fasteners and special types must be used. I must say that I had never respected this requirement in the past when it came to nailing into fence posts and so on. I'm building a shed floor frame from treated wood now and don't want to ruin it with the wrong nails (it will probably be nails rather than screws as I don't have a driver and my wrists don't fancy that kind of work).

Can anyone post examples from a large UK supplier of what sort of nails are actually OK? I just get mine from a local independent hardware store and they're all in big bins, bought by weight. No info or details about them.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking galvanised ring shank nails are what you want for outdoor construction. you can get stainless steel for work that will be on show such as cladding.

I've spent most of my time having stainless fixings specified but that's probably overkill. I've read about certain treatments attacking steel nails but evidently using galvanised will solve the problem and they're pretty cheap and most likely available at that store you get your other nails from.

Sponsored Links
If it's outside then you'll want galvanized or some sort of corrosion resistant nails regardless. I've recently used some 'Sheradised' nails, which has a black finish, but is acutally zinc plated through vapor deposition.

These are what I bought

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back