Fence colour brown or black?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've stained some fence panels, trellis & concrete posts with Cuprinal Autumn Brown, I wanted to paint the posts to match with masonry paint, but unable to find a brown to match, therefore my second option is to paint the panels, gravel boards & posts black. Once the green plants, roses etc have established would black look ok. I read that black helps to make the fence 'dissapear' so to speak. Has anyone used black before?

Also I have to cut the tops off the posts due to them being to long. Once this is done I was thinking of placing a ball cap on top fixing it with no more nails.

If anyone has any ideas and opinions I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
My personal preference is for dark green but that's not important right now. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When you say "paint the panels --" do you mean stain them with black cuprinol? I would strongly advise against using paint because, if water does get in, it'll be trapped. I made this mistake with a garden seat. I painted it with a well known brand of wood preservative which did exactly what it said on the tin. It preserved the wood for five years but then it started to rot from inside. :mad: :mad: :mad:

As for the colour itself, well that's entirely up to you but black is not a natural garden colour.

PS: I would cut the post tops off at an angle so that water doesn't pool on them.

Also I have to cut the tops off the posts due to them being to long. Once this is done I was thinking of placing a ball cap on top fixing it with no more nails.

No More Nails tends to be for internal use only, unless they do an external version ?

I can't see grab adhesive working that well in that situation anyway - far better to secure with suitable screws or nails.

Yes black is very different I guess. Well their already painted so not much I can do about that now. If a panel rots I'll just have to take it out and replace it I spose :confused:
Yes there is an external no more nails which is waterproof. Remember Im using a metal/wood cap on top of a concrete post hence the idea. I know some people have painted their posts on here, just a bit concerned that the only available brown is bitter chocolate wont match the panels 100%.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is an external no more nails which is waterproof. Remember Im using a metal/wood cap on top of a concrete post hence the idea. I know some people have painted their posts on here, just a bit concerned that the only available brown is bitter chocolate wont match the panels 100%.

Ah sorry - I was presuming you meant wooden posts, as I've never heard or seen anyone having to cap a concrete post as you suggested.

Have you already done this work ? When concrete posts are cut, it's usual to put the cut end of the post in the ground and leave a finished end at the top - is there any reason why you didn't or couldn't do this ?

Cutting these posts to get a nice, flat top is going to be tricky - if you expose any rebar, then that may rust prematurely too. It would be far easier (and cheaper !) to buy a post the correct height in the first place - I'm pretty sure my local supplier has them in 5-9ft sizes.

Don't forget, you need at least 2ft in the ground ideally, so even a 3ft/1m fence would need a 5ft post.

Cheers Mate,
I know long story but basically the height of the fence etc was too high. Its all in the ground now. My neighbour complained as it blocks view of a park and I see where shes coming from now. Ideally Id of cut the other end if Id of known. My other option is to remove the posts and replace them. Costly and not easy at all I know, but maybe I should consider wooden with the new post protectors as shown on Dragons Den? All other fences (side) in garden have concrete posts though. Are wooden posts really that bad??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back