Fence post has rotted and broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our fence been victimised by the recent winds :eek:

So now I need to work out how to repair this? Looks like the fence post had started to rot anyway, and it was concreted in to the ground.

What's the approach here? Do I drill out the remaining stub and slip a new post in there? Or is this bound to rot too, and actually I should be smashing all that concrete out?

I've just read alan's post about his fence blowing down at his new house - sounds similar to my situation.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
By the way, I've got the missing panel - looks fine although the bottom couple of inches are rotten and there has been some trauma down the side as the wind took it out.

You need to remove it all and concrete in a new post. Its difficult because if you dig it out you have a massive hole which then needs filled up with concrete for the new post, in an ideal world you want to get it out doing as little disruption to the surrounding ground as possible.

Easy to say hard to do. Trying to drill and break it into a few chunks is often the easiest way.

if you do manage to get the old stump out, see if a concrete spur will fit down the hole. At least it won't rot again. I never use wooden posts in the ground as I've been through your problem myself.

if you insist on putting a piece of wood into wet ground, stand it in a tub of cuprinol for a few days first. I don't know anything as good for preventing rot.

Sponsored Links
If you can afford it put in slotted concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and feather edge panels as they will outlast you.

If you are concerned about having to remove the old plugs of concrete off set the first post so you can dig in fresh ground.

If you are putting timber back in I'd recommend that you ask for protimised timber. It's pressure injected and survives well in the ground .Twenty years ago I built an arbour with this timber. When I came to sell the house the new buyer didn't want it and had no problem with me removing it which I did. By then the timbers had stood for around 12 years and looked as good as new when I took them out. It's now sitting in my garden of the house I'm in now.
Having said all that concrete posts and gravel boards certainly aren't a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back