fixing baton to concrete fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to attach some wires to train fruit against my concrete fence post (slotted variety 100mm with closed board panel.) I would rather not drill into the concrete post and put a rawl plug in (too risky with disaster written all over it.) I thought about attaching a timber batten to it and then screw vine eyelets into it. I've looked into options and can only come up with something called postfix. It's a clamp which bolts around the concrete post.

http://www.cabinessence.co.uk/Detailed_Info/PF16Pack/pf16pack.html

Is there any other fixing that works better? I'm keen on a good permanent solution and don't mind paying a bit more. It's a one off and only 4 posts.

Sponsored Links
Why not fix to the fence panels instead? You could add another piece of timber if you want it to stand off a bit further.

I did originally consider that, but seeing as the panels do shake a little and the concrete posts are rock solid, it seemed a better bet to fix the batten to the concrete. It would also cover the concrete post and look more like part of the fence. On the panels it would look like more upright pots next to the already standout concrete ones. I think covering the post would look better and be more solid, albeit harder to do.

Is the batten vertical or horizontal?

FWIW....

Had a similar issue with my garden. I wanted to affix a wooden batten to my concrete fence post. My batten was vertical so I cut the top at a 45 degree angle before fitting so it slopes and lets the water run off. I then chiselled 3 notches in the upright batten - not very wide deep but deep/wide enough to house plastic cable ties (the larger ones)

I glued the batten to the concrete post (I used building adhesive) then fitted 3 cable ties around the concrete post which, when pulled tight, held the batten tightly on the concrete post because of the notches I had chiselled. I left it to set overnight and it was solid in the morning.

I then cut the excess off the cable ties.

If your batten is horizontal then perhaps using the above method on the two posts and then screw the horizontal batten to the vertical ones?

I would cut any horizontal batten at an angle lengthwise for water run off then use a treatment to seal the cut section.

Worked for me without having to drill the concrete posts.

B

Sponsored Links
Great idea, but unfortunately that would involve taking out the panels in order to get the cable tie around the post. The posts are part of the neighbours fence and I'm hoping he doesn't find I'm attaching something to them. He can be an awkward so-and-so and I can do without the hassle. Very ingenious solution though. That must be strong adhesive that can hold a batten solid. Always had my doubts about adhesives, especially outdoors.

An advantage to the postfix bracket is the batten would be removable as a clip is screwed to the batten and then the clip slots onto the bracket bolted on to the concrete post. Only thing is I'm not sure how solid the entire thing would be as the 2 part fixing doesn't sound very robust. Will keep looking, though thanks for the suggestion.

Great idea, but unfortunately that would involve taking out the panels in order to get the cable tie around the post. The posts are part of the neighbours fence and I'm hoping he doesn't find I'm attaching something to them. He can be an awkward so-and-so and I can do without the hassle. Very ingenious solution though. That must be strong adhesive that can hold a batten solid. Always had my doubts about adhesives, especially outdoors.

Sorry - didn't read your original post properly (missed the bit about the panels) I was fortunate enough to be working with concrete posts which were old chainlink ones and the chainlink had gone so I was left with concrete posts on my side of the garden boundary.

Plenty building adhesives out there which will keep solid but you are correct in that any heavy fixings may not be as solid. I only needed the battens for a light job so the adhesive and the ties were fine for that.

Hope you find a solution.

Good Luck.

B

I like your idea of cable tie through notches, but how about just strapping the batten permanently. Wonder if there is some kind of strapping I could use, like a jubilee clip or metal screw/bolt tightening strap. I could just drill three small holes into the edge of the fence panel right next to the concrete post. Then thread the strap through the panel, around the back of the concrete post (neighbour's side) and back around. Then close the strap over the batten. The concrete post and my batten would then be lashed together.

Anyone know of the strongest kind of strap I could use? Something metal and with a bolt tightening fixing. Basically, a kind of heavy duty cable tie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back