Garden wood (not Decking)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to put some wood down in my garden, I like decking but don't like the look of it after a few years so I want to explore other options

I have attached a picture of the look I want to get, what is the best wood to use here for the UK, I don't want it to be too slippy and I want it to be hard wearing etc.

Thanks,
Con1_uk.

Sponsored Links
When you say you don't want 'decking' I presume you mean you don't like the standard 'ribbed' treated softwood styles??

There are all sorts of decking types which are a far cry from what we all think of as 'normal' decking.

Have a look at some of the stuff in the link below. Lots of different styles.

Please note that I am not recommending the site - merely giving an example. I am sure there are many other merchants out there who will supply similar stuff.

http://www.edecks.co.uk/subdept/18/0/Hardwood_Decking

You cant really just lay down planks direct to the floor in the UK, as per your picture (which is really just decking at ground level).

Our climate is just to wet, and they will become slippery with algae growth as they will stay too wet for too long.

Regular cleaning and some kind of drainage under the boards will help, but ultimatly there is a reason why decking is raised off the floor in the UK.

Hello, thanks for your replies, I will be laying on a sub frame off the floor, the picture is for an idea on the type of wood sorry

Sponsored Links
I am looking to put some wood down in my garden, I like decking but don't like the look of it after a few years so I want to explore other options

Confusing.

So you basically want wood decking?

The look changes if you don't finish and protect it = maintenence.

I think he means he doesn't like the 'bog standard' decking and is looking for something more pleasing and more hardwearing.

As you say, it still needs to be maintained............

B

When you say you don't want 'decking' I presume you mean you don't like the standard 'ribbed' treated softwood styles??
But the ribbing is purpose designed to trap dirt and moisture and provide the perfect home for moss and algae to grow. What's not to like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back