Garden wooden planters help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some large wooden planters, which are in effect crates, to be left out in the garden all year round.

I am told I need liners for them and need to protect the wood, particularly underneath.

Can anyone please tell me please what to use for liners and how I put them in without them showing?

I would also be grateful for some help with wood preservative. There seems to be a proliferation of them available and no idea which ones are good and which ones are not. I need a colourless one as I don’t much like these crates being painted in (sometimes vivid) colours.

Thanks for help

mygoose

Sponsored Links
Can someone help me with this please?

Very many thanks

mygoose

I've seen planters for sale with liners, not sure what purpose they serve?

I've built various wooden planters and never used a liner of any sort.

How thick is the timber? If it's a decent thickness it will take a good few years before it rots, so if you want the natural colour you could leave as is. I've never used a clear wood preserver so can't comment on them!

You can use bubblewrap or any thick plastic sheet, Just drape it in it and use some drawing pins or a staple gun to fix it near the rim. The soil will hold it once its in place.

Sponsored Links
I've seen planters for sale with liners, not sure what purpose they serve?

I've built various wooden planters and never used a liner of any sort.

How thick is the timber? If it's a decent thickness it will take a good few years before it rots, so if you want the natural colour you could leave as is. I've never used a clear wood preserver so can't comment on them!

Thanks. I hadn't thought of liners but apparently crates have gaps between the planks and the purpose of liners is to stop the soil falling out.

I need to know what is a good wood preserver, it doesn't have to be clear.

Thanks for help
mygoose

You can use bubblewrap or any thick plastic sheet, Just drape it in it and use some drawing pins or a staple gun to fix it near the rim. The soil will hold it once its in place.

Thanks and that is a good idea.

Does it mean there is no drainage for the soil?

How do you stop it showing near the rim please?

Thanks for help
mygoose

You have it so that the top is slightly below the soil level. If you want drainage stick some holes in it with a screwdriver or whatever.

Thanks and I would still like someone to tell me a good wood preserver please. It does not need to be clear.

mygoose

Just drape it in it and use some drawing pins or a staple gun to fix it near the rim.

As well as a good wood preserver would you please direct me to a suitable staple gun to do this as I cannot find one.

If you could show me one on Amazon that would be great.

Thanks again for help.

mygoose

For a staple gun (sometimes called a tacker) - Toolstation 96787.
For the preservative, 68513.
Best not to let the planters stand in water though.....prop 'em up on a brick or two.
John :)

How much preserver would I need please to do 6 crates 33" square and 30" high and does anyone know about weed membrane as a liner?

Thanks for help

mygoose

I just bought weed membrane on Ebay, there are some great deals. I'm using it under astroturf, and any spare will go inside a large planter. I got 50sm for £25.

Just search for weed barrier fabric or membraine.

Thanks for help everybody and its a great help when I don't understand what these products do or the quantities.

I've now read that wanting a clear external wood preserver is not a great idea as many of the clear ones do not work externally including one well known brand. I do not like the vivid colours.

The Toolstation one looks fine. Do you have personal experience of it please?

Is there any way to fix the lining other than a stapler please? They do seem rather expensive and I would not have any other use for it.

Thanks for help

mygoose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back