Hayter Lawn Mower and others - Briggs Engines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got myself a bargain small self drive Hayter last year . 2 tips I can share . 1 the engine ran but when warm smoked out the exhaust :eek: - cure is to fit a new breather valve on the engine :idea: 2 This season it would NOT start. :evil: Cure spent £20. on a complete new carb genuine part off the net. The Briggs+Stratton carbs on TOP of the petrol tank are :evil: they try and pump the petrol up ( the ones with the primer bulb) and also suffer from fuel varnish/gum. Upside is they get dumped/auctioned because they become hopeless to use ;) Next winter I'll be putting in some fuel treatment to keep petrol fresh.

Sponsored Links
Is that the breather on the tappet cover, Nige? Usually opened every 15 years or so :p
So true about the pump diaphragm, I buy them in 10's now.
Don't know if you've discovered GHS Ltd - excellent pattern spares site ;)
John :)

Hi Burnerman - that's the one . I sussed it because I remembered my old BSA that had a one way breather to keep a neg. pressure in the crankcase, to stop the oil leaks allegedly. Sure enough there was a little flap valve in the B+S breather. Don't much like the engine design - too clever for it's own good IMHO. My rotavator has a Lauson engine (became Tecumseh) and it is brilliantly simple with a clockwork starter :LOL: .I'll check out GHS ltd.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back