Heavy clay causing side of garden to flood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you can help.

My rear garden shares a boundary on all 3 sides. The ground is clay and on one side the neighbour's garden is slightly higher than mine so when it rains not only does my side flood but I also get a mini waterfall from their side.

It's a lawned area so I can't really raise this side up to the same level of the neighbours as it would look odd. Therefore I'm looking for ideas or solutions to stop the flooding.

The idea I came up with, and please suggest alternatives if this sounds daft, but it was to dig down past the clay and replace this with topsoil. I was then going to add some kind of raised bed so that my side was either level of higher than the neighbours.

Will this alleviate any flooding? At the moment, pools of water will stay from days after heavy rain.

Do I need to add any course sand or gravel to the bottom of the trench once the clay has been dig out to help with drainage? Anything else I need to be aware of attempting something like this?

Open to suggestions or alternatives and thanks in advance.

K-Rod.

Sponsored Links
You could put in a line of a french drain between the two levels (your side obviously) led to a buried chamber, either a sump, or collector connected to the rain water drainage...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back