Honda HRB536 mower: Have valve spring specs changed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone tell me if Honda have changed the specs of the valve springs for the GCV160 motor used in the HRB536 mower? I'm rebuilding the motor of our 13-yr-old HRB536. The HRB216 Shop Manual (2001 edition) covers an identical US mower and it says new valve springs have a free length of 34 mm, and need replacing when this gets down below 32.5mm. Ours were down to 30.3 mm, so I bought Honda replacements, part no. 14751-ZL8-000.

However, these are only 31.2 mm long, so below the specified minimum length. I suspect the spec has changed since my Shop Manual was printed, but can anyone confirm this, or measure a new spring of the same kind for me? I feel uneasy about fitting out-of-spec parts.

Would be grateful for any advice/info.

Sponsored Links
There are a few different models of the HRB 536 but as far as I know the spring part number is the same - 14751-ZL8-000.
Personally I'd fit these with confidence - although the length may have changed, so may have the coil wire diameter therefore making it stiffer.
At the end of the day to avoid cam wear, the springs should be as weak as possible just to prevent valve bounce, but on an engine revving only to 3500 rpm there's nothing to worry about.
John :)

Thanks v much for the quick response, John--that's reassuring. I'd best crack on with it, then. Hope I can remember how to put it all back together. :)

dedge43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back