Honda hrx426 mower help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a honda hrx 426 it's it pretty good condition but it surges know when I got it there was no filter cover on it also filter is dirty also it only idols when I puss the rev lever nothing happens but if a rev it at the engine it revs fine I've check the cable and it is ok the governor spring seems slack but not broken any help please as I'm going mad thinking what it could be thank you

Sponsored Links
It will need a filter to run properly, or leave it off for testing.

From memory, the governor spring only tightens when you pull on the cable, does yours do that?

I will try and get a vid it cuts out when you take the filter off when it's on choke but surges when on the hare setting you have two have it on the high speed for it to run when you move the handle to slow it stop seem its on slow when it is on high setting the govonor spring is slack but not broke

Sponsored Links
You need a new air filter mate and forget about the governor spring - please don't alter that!
Your carb has a blocked pilot jet and possibly an emulsion tube too.
You may have seen the idle mixture screw on the top of the carb has a tamperproof top and can only be adjusted 1/4 turn. To remove that, snip off the small lug - don't lever it off as the whole screw head will come with it :eek:
If you can remove the carb, and take the float bowl off (central 10mm screw) the main jet is dead centre of the carb and the emulsion tube above that.....a tin of carb cleaner aerosol is needed here!
John :)

Didn't find the video yet?

Did you try it without the air filter?

Cheers I will try that will that make it not rev it revs when I do it manual but it don't rev with the lever

surging on most mower engines means that you need to give the carb a clean out and clear the jets. done it a hundred times. a really dirty air filter will just stop a honda engine from starting at all.

remove the carburettor bowl it's probably full of ****.

I have an hrx537 and it does this all the time.

As munching b said if not the bowl its general carb dirt and partial blocks

Are you saying that the engine revs ok when you operate the governor rod by hand, but it won't respond to the throttle lever?
With the engine off, the throttle linkage on the top of the carb should be open.
John :)

Cleaned the carb full also done a full service no surge purse like a kitten so thanks for all the info now for my other problem it only ticks over doesn't on the fast setting when you put it on slow it stops any info cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back