Large patio on heavy clay, suggestions pl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After living in the country this winter, it's clear I shall need to have a large patio built if I want to venture outside at all next winter!
I'd like a large area about 15ft x 35ft done, and I'd like it to blend in as much as possible with the very rural setting.
The problem is the soil here is the heaviest clay I've ever come across so I would appreciate any suggestions/tips for the best surface to use, what depth you would take the sub base to, and whether you know of any environmentally friendly surfaces that I might consider.
This won't be a DIY job, apart from some digging out that we could do to help reduce costs, but I'd just like to be well prepared for when I get quotes.
TIA

Sponsored Links
paving expert . com has loads of advice on this kind of thing.

Im in a similar situation with the garden path I'm about to construct. Im on solid clay, Ive dug test holes 3ft deep and theres no sign of the clay ending!!

I'm wondering if the 'hardcore/crusher run' sub-base will sink into the clay sub-grade over time? Would a geo-textile fabric help prevent this?

Pavingexpert.com is a fantastic resource, but I can't see where they cover this subject?

Sponsored Links
There is no issue regarding clay as a suitable sub grade for a patio. Its main problems come to light regarding drainage.

A geotextile membrane can be used under the hardcore sub base to prevent the clay and the hardcore mixing.

On a patio this is much less of an issue and will often only be used when the ground is very wet after digging out.

It really comes into play where a driveway is concerned because the heavy loading of a driveway by a cars weight forces water to pump up through the sub base and mix.

So in answer to you question on a heavy clay sub-soil the drainage will be very poor and so any kind of environmentally friendly permeable paving is pointless.

Dealing with the surface water will be your main concern. Depending on the lie of the land you may be lucky but if your garden slopes towards the house you will need to at least try a soakaway test pit to see if you can through the clay.

Thanks all.
I may go with a coloured imprinted concrete.
I think my first job is to dig down in an area near the house to see how deep the clay lies, just to equip myself with the knowledge before getting quotes. All along the back of the house there's a kind of 'trench' which is now full of grass so there may be some kind of soakaway already there.
I may be some time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back