Lawn mower experts - Honda smart drive or variable speed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've got a mediums sized garden mostly lawn. As spring is coming we need a new lawn mower.

I've decided on a honda as I understand they have a good reputation and will probably last much longer.

I like the HRX range because of the 7 year warranty, even if they don't come cheap, but the hrx 476 can be bought either with smart drive or hydrostatic. I understand the latter gives variable speeds, but are there any other differences?

Both models are the same price, so was just wondering if there were any reasons to pick one over the other?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
The smart drive uses a variable cone transmission somewhat similar to the CVT transmission on their cars.
It hasn't been on the market for too long - unlike the hydrostatic transmission which is well proven. Personally i think its a bit of an overkill for a mower (you don't really need paddle shift on the handle bar, do you) but as you say, the warranty is good so there's not much to lose.
The hydrostatic system is completely variable speed wise too, and is separate from the engine / blade speed of course.
John :)

Thanks John.

I'm guessing that the hydrostatic is the one to go for if it's more tried and tested. I agree that there's not much need for changing speed, but there's no option but to have it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back