Mountfield mower deck rust!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my self-propelled Honda engine mountfield is now 7 years old

I regularly clean it (mostly :oops: )

however much to my horror the paint has now come off attached to crusty rust :eek: - this being in the underneath cutting area.

Rust has not affected the integrity of the deck but I need to fix it!

Plan is to use a rotary wire brush and then use "hammerite" x 2 coats

Question is should I use a rust converter first or...........any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
They all catch you out, don't they......sure, use rust converter (pink solution, turns black), then primer then Hammerite.
If the deck has holes and can be patched, consider Halfords fibre glass repair kits.
John :)

They all catch you out, don't they......sure, use rust converter (pink solution, turns black), then primer then Hammerite.
If the deck has holes and can be patched, consider Halfords fibre glass repair kits.

No John no holes (yet!)

If I do it properly now I should stop it

its time they started selling replacement decks I notice a few threads on here about them rotting away which is a shame because the Honda engine is bullet proof and will outlast me!!!!

Sponsored Links
Even the genuine Honda steel decks rust just the same - a new small Izy deck is around £70 but there's lots of time to be spent swapping the bits over.
What you are doing will extend your mowers life by years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back