Nuke the weeds!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

has anyone found anything that does really hit the garden weeds and plants hard? We're really looking to stop anything and everything growing now and for sometime to come!!

We've got the whole range, from moss, to fern type things grow! dandelion, grass, brambles and much more!!

We've got weeds growing from every little gap in slabs, concrete and fences!

ideally due to the area suffering, something we can put into a large sprayer and just soak the whole garden!

No worries over kids or pets! Anything sensible and legal considered! Cheres

Sponsored Links
For a smallish area you could put down heavy gauge black polythene held in place by rubble etc. The lack of light will eventually kill them off.

Sodium chlorate is illegal for use as a pesticide.

SBK is a good suggestion but it will not be as effective with soft weeds and will not kill grass at all which you probably have some of that growing amonst the lot.

Moss is a seperate entity and will not be killed by weedkiller you need to use a specific moss killer.

If I were you I would use path clear for the majority of it and then spot spray any brambles with SBK as pathclear will not kill them.

Lastly do not listen to morons who tell you to put it on 3 times the strength to do a proper job, you are only wasting your money and destroying the environment. It is not more effective.

Technique wise if the weeds are more than a foot high and quite dense it would be best to strim them down near the ground and sweep up the debris. Then let them all re-grow for 2 weeks and then spray as it will get a better coverage of product.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Morning all,

thanks for the ideas, can I check what you mean by SBK?

as for use of matting, its OK, but as this is around slabs over existing beds etc sadly its not an option.

most are light/soft weeds with only a small number of things like brambles around.

cheers!

SBK is a sort of brand name. I think it stands for Stump and brush killer.

Essentially there are common weedkillers containing Glyphosate as the 'killing' ingredient such as Roundup pathclear etc These kill 95% of weeds and are the most widely used by far.

For weeds such as brambles that are quite woody or for poisoning cut down tree stumps etc glyphosate is less effective so there are other products like SBK as linked to by hertsdrainage. These have a different 'killing' ingredient in them.

Glyphosate isn't persistent - it will only kill the weeds it comes into contact with - it neutralises in the soil. So you will have to keep spraying when the weeds come back, or cover to exclude light so that they don't.

Unless you stop light getting to the soil, weeds will always appear. Chemicals will only work for a few months before the weeds reappear.

Yes, but it's a good start, to allow you to get ground cleared, and with a few applications have a good go at making the soil inhospitable for a few months while you tidy up, and then get something down to blot out the light.

What you do will be guided by what you want to use the ground for, and how long after applying the herbicide.

path clear as i recommended
Buy Bayer Pistol instead - same ingredients but it works out a lot cheaper than buying Pathclear et al in garden centres.

If you just want pure glyphosate, I believe that Rosate 36 is a cheap way to buy it.

Pistol is a licensed herbicide and not for sale or use by the general public.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back