Order of installation of mortice fence posts and rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Busy plannign to install some picket style fencing in the front of my property and curious as to the order/method of installing mortice posts with rails.

Do you set the posts the correct distance apart and are the rails flexible enough to bend/force into the posts or do you set the end posts and then with the rail and next post set that one and so on.

I'd imagine it is the latter, but a little baffled as to how long it would take having to only set one post at a time and waiting for that to set.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Kyle

Sponsored Links
I don't know the answer to this question for certain, but I agree that logic dictates it is to set the second post with the rails in place, as bending a rail sounds like a bad idea.

I would also suggest that as long as you only hang the rails and support the posts whilst your concrete sets, then you can just do the run as fast as you can construct it.

I wouldn't think you would have to wait for them all to set first before moving to the next post.

I've seen plenty of professionals do a whole run in a day, then come back a day or so later and fix the fencing to the rails in another day.

I second what's just been said. You can use temporary props to hold the posts vertical while the concrete goes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back