Painting paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to sort garden in new house and do something about my lovely painted pink slabs. Most of them are flaking and thought jet washing would remove the remainder....not so easy.

The jet wash is lifting it but obviously using loads of water and soaking everything else. Nitromors was mentioned but got some Diall paint stripper from B&Q, applied the 2 coats as it said but not much different. I am going to try an air compressor tomorrow thinking that might do the same as jet wash but without the water.

Failing that, I think I might have to take the 'Harry Tate' way out and repaint them the buff colour we want. Any suggestions on paint? Been looking at B&Q textured masonry but not sure if any good.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you will always have an on going problem with paint. Before you repaint it perhaps look into having it cleaned with something like the JOS system which is a form of wet sandblasting . It doesn't use huge amounts of water and you don't have clouds of dust to deal with. I've seen it used on brickwork , stone and wood to great effect although keep it away from glass unless you want frosted glass.
These may be a bit far away but it'll give you an idea
http://www.midlandmasonry.co.uk/cleaning.htm

Don't think there is anyone around here that does that.

Just trying to do on the cheap at the moment and happy even if paint only last a few years, just something to get us by for now and then maybe do properly later when funds are better

Probably standard masonry paint then. I've done some stepping stones for my daughter's playhouse with paint and it has worked to a degree although I painted the whole thing before it went in the ground because with only the top surface painted water can still get under the paint and lift it.

Sponsored Links
Well just tried electric compressor and no joy, think pressure washer better. Most is peelong feels rubbery.

Neighbour down the road owns a pressure washing company so might contact him tomorrow to see if he has anything with a higher pressure than my 1400 psi Karcher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back