Patio weeds on possible property purchase...anything nasty??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with some help identifying if there is anything particularly nasty about the infestation of patio weeds on a property that we are considering purchasing. With all the horror stories with knotweed and property I'd like to rule that out and get an idea what the stuff in the photos is and the likely cost to erradicate!?!

View media item 47819 View media item 47818
Cheers for looking.

Sponsored Links
The weeds in your close up photo are nothing to be concrened about, the only weed that would have an impact on deciding whether to buy a house would be knotweed, or maybe marestail if it was everywhere.

Knotweed is generally very tall by this time of year and so not a weed in the sense of the ones you have photo'd it would be at least 3 feet tall.

Look on google images for photo;s of it.

Agreed - nothing a bit of weedkiller (and maybe a good resand of the paving) can't cure.

Marestail has feathery leaves like this:

462.jpg

knotweed looks like this:

japanese_knotweed_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and the images.

Seeing the giant red stem was worrying me as it just looks sinister!!

Glad to know its nothing too nasty.

Is that actually growing out of the ground? it just looks like a small branch/ twig that has blown there

cant see why any weed would discourage you from buying a house :rolleyes:

If you can get hold of it - sodium chlorate will kill anything, a good home made method is very salted water or bleach in water

sodium chlorate is now illegal as a weedkiller and throwing down bleach willy nilly is none too good for the world around us.

Straight forward round-up applied at the dose on the bottle will kill all but the most troublesome weeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back